In October 2008, Jeffery Klaehn conducted a Comic Book Retailer Panel Discussion. Participants included retailers from Canada, the United States and the United Kingdom.
– Jim Hanley is a partner in two comic book stores that carry his name – ‘Jim Hanley’s Universe: Where Art and Literature Meet’ operates stores in Staten Island, New York and Midtown Manhattan, USA.
– Peter Birkemoe owns The Beguiling, located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
– Gail Burt is owner of Metropolis Comics, located in Bellflower, California, USA.
– Tim Morris owns and runs Comic Book Collector, located in London, Ontario, Canada.
– Jared Myland is owner and manager of OK Comics in Leeds, England.
– John Brenner is owner of Lookin’ for Heroes, located in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.
From Klaehn’s introduction:
Comic book retailers are on the front-lines of the comic industry and arguably possess the most knowledge of all when it comes to all things comic books. What follows is a panel discussion that I undertook with the owners and managers of six different comic book shops located around the world — in Canada, the United States and the United Kingdom. It is my hope that this research will inspire debate and encourage new ways of thinking about comic books, contemporary and historic trends associated with the medium and aspects of the comic industry industry, and possibilities for comics scholarship.