Comic Book Literacy Day is a really neat event coming up at the London Public Library that will feature talented cartoonists: Scott Chantler, J.Bone, Kathryn and Stuart Immonen, Diana Tamblyn and the Kill Shakespeare crew.
Put on by Heroes Cards and Comics, the United Way, the London Public Library, and The Child and Youth Network for putting this together. See below for full information. Come on out and bring your kids as it’s happening over March Break week and it’s FREE! Wednesday, March 16, 2011
Central London Public Library
Join us at the London Public Central Library from 1 8 pm for a day-long celebration of comic books and graphic novels. There will be something for comic-lovers of every age.
1:00pm-1:45pm Comic Art Workshop featuring Freeze DNA (Ages 6-14 -Stevenson Hunt)
• Learn how to draw basic illustrations, animals, and facial expressions and participate in a questions and answer period at the end of the workshop
1:00pm-8:00pm Comic Artists Gallery(All ages – The Passageway)
• An open invitation to local comic artists to display their work, draw, network and meet fans
1:30pm-8:00pm Comic Jam featuring J. Bone and friends (All ages – Teen Annex)
• J. Bone is a Canadian comic book artist and writer who has worked on such titles as DC Comics’ Batman: The Brave and the Bold and Super Friends – Ask him to draw your favourite comic book character!
• It’s a comic jam! Draw a panel and pass it on. Join in and create a comic together with artists of all levels. Let’s try and create as many collaborative comics as possible and put them on display!
2:00pm-4:00pm Creating Web Comics featuring Jeffrey Preston All ages – The Passageway/Teen Annex
• Jeffrey Preston, creator of Cripz: A Webcomic. An introduction to web comics and creating your own wecomic.
2:00pm-2:30pm Comics for Kids: Three Thieves featuring Scott Chantler (Ages 9-12 – Stevenson Hunt B)
• A reading and discussion of his acclaimed kids’ comic series, Three Thieves published by Kids Can Press
2:30pm-3:30pm Be a Comic Book Artist by Alison Williams(Ages 9-12 – Stevenson Hunt A)
• 2 half hour comic art workshop sessions with 20 participants each
5:00pm-6:00pm The Creative Process of Popular Comics(Teens and adults – Stevenson Hunt)
Featuring Stuart and Kathryn Immonen
• Stuart Immonen – Marvel Comics artist for Fear Itself, and in the past, Avengers, Captain America, Incredible Hulk, New Avengers, Thor, Fantastic Four, Ultimate X-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, DC Comics’ Superman, Never as Bad as You Think*, and Moving Pictures*
• Kathryn Immonen – Marvel Comics author for Wolverine and Jubilee, and in the past Heralds, X-Men, Runaways, and Hellcat
6:00pm-7:00pm Canadian Non-fiction Graphic Novels(Teens and adults – Stevenson Hunt)
Featuring Scott Chantler and Diana Tamblyn
• Scott Chantler is an acclaimed graphic novelist whose books have been nominated for many awards and recommended by the American Library Association and the Junior Library Guild, he has created the non-fiction graphic novels Northwest Passage and Two Generals
• Diana Tamblyn is an Ignatz-nominated cartoonist who has been actively writing and drawing comics for over 12 years. Her latest comic project is “From Earth to Babylon: The Story of Gerald Bull and the Supergun”. This is a historical based work on the life of Canadian Gerald Bull – considered to be one of the most brilliant artillery scientists of the 20th century. Her past work includes a comic biography of another Canadian scientist – Frederick Banting
7:00pm-8:00pm Comic Book Literacy with Kill Shakespeare, Scott Robins, Mathew Hoy(Teens and adults – Stevenson Hunt)
• A presentation and panel discussion featuring Kill Shakespeare’s creators Conor McCreery, Anthony Del Col and artist, Andy B; Scott Robins, librarian and blogger from Comic Book Resources and local parent-comic book fan, Mathew Hoy
Other events and activities happening throughout the day:
- Dress up day – wear a comic book costume to celebrate the day
- Fun-time photo booth – costumes and props will complete your digital picture
- Free comic book for kids all day courtesy of Heroes
Comic creator signings, and meet and greets all day at Heroes:
- 3:00-4:30 p.m. Meet and greet local comic artists
4:00-5:30 p.m. J. Bone, Diana Tamblyn and Scott Chantler
- 5:00-6:30 p.m. Kill Shakespeare
- 6:30-8:00 p.m. Stuart and Kathryn Immonen
Mar 16 2011 – 1:00pm – 8:00pm
The London Public Library